Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Homemade Sliders

In my opinion part of being thrifty is figuring out how to make what you can. My little guys and my big guys love White Castles but lets be honest it takes a lot of them to feed my crowd and they aren't cheap. So after checking that glorious DIY site Pinterest, I found a recipe that sounded good and tried it out. It was super easy and a hit! Here's the basic directions:

*pour a layer of dried minced onion into the bottom of a shallow baking pan
*press a thin layer of ground beef on top of the onions
*bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I may have forgot to time them, I just kept checking them)
*cut the ground beef into squares (kind of like your cutting brownies)
*cut rolls in half (I toasted mine)
*place a pickle on each roll and using a spatula place a "burger" on each roll


 I ended up making 60 sliders and I had about 48 left after dinner to freeze. Now I have plenty in the freezer for when the guys get a craving and I won't even have to drive the 30 minutes each way!


So lets do the math:
60 Originals @ $ .69= $41.40


For my version:
3 lbs ground beef @ $2lb= $6
5 packages rolls @ $2.48= $12.40
Minced onion= $2
I always have pickles in this house so lets not count those :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Total=  $20.40

That means my version is $ .34 each thats less than half!



I am going to try to post more of my homemade versions now that fall is here and my kitchen will be full of dirty dishes constantly and grandma is calling me Betty Crocker.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment