Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent


What do you get a mommy with 6 kids 1st grade and under? Laundry Detergent of course! My brothers girlfriend is always asking if I will give her some detergent and I of course always have plenty in my stockpile but, I had been wanting to try making my own so I jumped at the chance to put new meaning to homemade Christmas gift.

The three main items needed to make 4.5 gallons are (plus prices I paid at Walmart):

1 bar Fels Naptha laundry bar soap ($.97 a bar)
1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (3 1/2lb box for $3.47)
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax (almost a 5lb box is only $3.47)
a 5 gallon bucket with a lid or something to cover it with
a whisk or a paint stirrer

Procedure:
Heat 4 cups of water on medium heat in a pot on the stove
Meanwhile, grate the bar of soap into the pot (I grated it into a paper bowl)

Stir with a whisk until disolved
Remove from heat and add the washing soda and the borax
Stir
Dump into a 5 gallon bucket
Add 4 gallons of warm water
Stir

Cover and let sit for 24 hours
It will turn into a gel consistency. Stir again by either using a whisk and sticking your arm down in it (its just soap)...or you can use a paint stirrer attachment on a drill.
Divide it up into gallon jugs using a funnel or a siphon hose or leave it all in the 5 gallon bucket. Easier to handle in small milk jug. Plus you can give it a shake before dispensing.


Use 1/2- 2/3 cup for top loaders
Use 1/4 cup for front loaders (HE)

So since I have plenty more Borax and Washing Soda to make at least 4-5 more buckets I figure this is about 144 loads for $2 or 2 cents a load!! I have a friend who shared this recipe with me and this is all she has used for the past 2 years and she has two young kids and a hubby who works outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment